Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Healthy One

I'm a Pain Parent, trying to deal with my oldest child's struggles with chronic pain.

But I'm also the mom of The Healthy One: my youngest daughter. We'll call her Angel. Angel is the most generous person I have ever known. She is not one to complain and is also fiercely independent. At the age of 12, she handles schoolwork completely on her own and gets straight As, thank you very much. She has discovered, and has been discovered by, boys -- but thinks they all pale in comparison to her dad.

Oh, how I love this baby girl of mine!

Angel loves her big sister fiercely and wants her to be well. But of course big sis' illness affects Angel's life in so many ways. And I worry.

I worry that she'll be jealous of the time I spend caring for her sister.

I worry that she'll think I don't love her as much.

I worry that this will permanently scar the relationship of these two awesome girls, who I had always imagined would grow up to be best friends as well as sisters.

I worry that there won't be enough therapy in the world to make up for the times Angel has had plans changed, or even cancelled, because her sister was sick or in the hospital. Does this make her feel less important, less loved, just... Less? God, I hope not.

Sometimes, parenting a healthy child right alongside a chronically ill child feels like it tears me in two. The Sick One can't handle a trip to the movies, but I promised The Healthy One I would take them to see it this weekend... And so on, and so on.

There is no "win" here. There is just putting one foot in front of the other and trying so, so hard to reassure both of my darling girls that I love them to pieces. And still...

I worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment