Friday, December 23, 2011

Hugs can hurt

This week, I had the chance to visit with a Pain Parent friend whose 17-year-old daughter has chronic head, neck and back pain. She's understandably a very tough kid -- this pain has had her in its clutches for more than three years now.

As we chatted, this girl told me about an upcoming medical procedure-slash-test she has coming up. She told me that the doctor said if this doesn't find the problem, then there is nothing else that can be done for her.

That is WRONG. If the doctor doesn't know what else can be done, then the doctor should say, "I don't know what else to do for you," and help the patient figure out the next doctor to try. To tell anyone (especially a child) that there is no hope -- when there certainly could be hope, it's just with someone else -- is cruel. Pain is not life-threatening, and I think that's why so many docs see no reason to try anything new or different or admit that someone else might be better able to help. It's just pain, right?

But, back to our friend. I asked if I could do anything for her, and she said, "I could really use a hug, but..." and she winced. How sad is it to crave human touch but to know it will cause even more pain?

So I gave an aching child the lightest of touches, a very gentle hug that I tried to fill with all of the warmth and love I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment